Public Records Privacy and Data Security
We take data security and the privacy of your personal information very seriously. Maryland law mandates that State agencies shall not create personal records unless the need for the information is clearly established and that personal records shall be relevant to the purposes for which they are collected, and that they be accurate and current, and not be obtained by fraudulent means.
State officials who request personal data from citizens must notify them of the following.
- The purposes for which the information is collected
- The consequences to the citizen for refusing to provide the personal information
- The citizen’s right to inspect and correct personal records
- Whether the information is generally available for public inspection
- Whether the information is made available to other entities
Please refer to the eMaryland technology website for additional information on information technology policies in Maryland. The State of Maryland is committed to providing you with websites over which you may securely and confidently transact business with the State.